King Hermit
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
King Hermit

the official King Hermit message board

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

On this day in history.......

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Sound Foundry
Dangerous
Dangerous
Sound Foundry

Male
Number of posts : 2735
Hermit Points : 4360

On this day in history....... Empty
PostSubject: On this day in history.......   On this day in history....... EmptyFri May 29, 2009 12:14 am

Each day post something that happened on that day in history

......... a bit of intellectual banter might help you retards.

OK, here goes.....

May 28th

1742 - 1st indoor swimming pool opens (Goodman's Fields, London)
1754 - George Washington defeats French & Indians at Fort Duquesne (Pittsburgh)
1863 - 1st black regiment (54 Massachusetts) leaves Boston to fight in Civil War
1923 - Attorney General says it is legal for women to wear trousers anywhere
1937 - Golden Gate Bridge in San Fransisco opens to vehicular traffic
1971 - USSR Mars 3 launched, 1st spacecraft to soft land on Mars
1990 - Longest wheelie (David Robilliard with 5 hours 12 minutes 33 seconds (Channel Islands)

Impress me tomorrow!
Back to top Go down
http://www.thesoundfoundry.co.uk
Jimatay
Mod
Mod

Male
Number of posts : 3341
Hermit Points : 5333

PostSubject: Re: On this day in history.......   On this day in history....... EmptyFri May 29, 2009 11:25 am

1953: Men reach Everest summit

Edmund Hillary of New Zealand and Tenzing Norgay of Nepal plant four flags at the peak of Mt. Everest, 29,028 feet above sea level, and become the first explorers to scale Everest. As early as the 1920s, attempts were made to scale Mount Everest, the world's tallest mountain. However, no climbers succeeded until Hillary and Norgay on 29 May 1953. The two, part of a British expedition, made their final assault on the summit after spending a fitful night at 27,900 feet. News of their achievement broke around the world on 2 June, the day of Queen Elizabeth II's coronation, and many called it a good omen of things to come. The Queen knighted Edmund Hillary later that year.

also on this day

A national referendum in France rejects ratification of the European Union Constitution.
22 people are killed as Islamic terrorists attack two oil installations and a compound housing foreign workers in Al-Khobar, Saudi Arabia.
After 16 years of military rule, Olusegun Obasanjo takes office as President of Nigeria.
39 football fans are killed and at least another 400 injured when a wall collapses during crowd violence at the Heysel Stadium in Brussels only minutes before the start of the European Cup Final between Liverpool and Juventus.
In England, the police and striking miners clash near Sheffield.
In the first Papal visit to Britain since 1531, Pope Paul II prays alongside the Archbishop of Canterbury, the head of the Church of England, at Canterbury Cathedral.
Three Japanese gunmen kill 26 people in Lod International Airport in Tel Aviv, Israel.
Manchester United becomes the first English football team to win the European cup beating Benfica 4 -1.
Cruise liner Empress of Ireland collides with a Norwegian freighter on the St Lawrence River in Canada. More than 1000 are killed.
Igor Stravinsky's ballet, The Rite of Spring, premiers in Paris.
Putney Bridge opens in west London.
The Hungarian Diet formally accepts the terms of the Ausgleich, which creates the Austro-Hungarian dual monarchy.
Emperor Maximilian of Mexico, installed by Napoleon III, arrives in Mexico for the first time.
Wisconsin becomes the 30th state to join the Union.
The Lombard League of north Italian cities defeats the German forces of the Holy Roman Emperor Frederick Barbarossa at the Battle of Legnano in Italy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kinghermit.com
Dale
Admin
Admin
Dale

Male
Number of posts : 5959
Hermit Points : 12391

PostSubject: Re: On this day in history.......   On this day in history....... EmptyFri May 29, 2009 12:09 pm

Sound Foundry wrote:

Impress me tomorrow!

Copy and pasting infomation impresses you?
Back to top Go down
Caroline
Devotee
Devotee
Caroline

Female
Number of posts : 802
Hermit Points : 905

PostSubject: Re: On this day in history.......   On this day in history....... EmptyFri May 29, 2009 1:05 pm

boring. zzzzz Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Muldoon
Dangerous
Dangerous
Muldoon

Male
Number of posts : 2504
Hermit Points : 4082

PostSubject: Re: On this day in history.......   On this day in history....... EmptyFri May 29, 2009 5:59 pm

Drivdac wrote:
Sound Foundry wrote:

Impress me tomorrow!

Beat me to it
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/damagelimitationrecords
Sound Foundry
Dangerous
Dangerous
Sound Foundry

Male

PostSubject: Re: On this day in history.......   On this day in history....... EmptyFri May 29, 2009 7:21 pm

Drivdac wrote:
Sound Foundry wrote:

Impress me tomorrow!

The effort, however small, of BOTHERING to research the information and sort the 'wheat from the chaff' before sharing it, impresses me greatly, as well as learning something I didn't know before. To some of us, there is a certain joy in acquiring knowledge, while others just graze mindlessly on 'The Inbetweeners'...

These are known as 'Tards'

Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.thesoundfoundry.co.uk
Dale
Admin
Admin
Dale

Male
Number of posts : 5959
Hermit Points : 12391

PostSubject: Re: On this day in history.......   On this day in history....... EmptyFri May 29, 2009 9:55 pm

I'll have you know i spend countless hours on Wikipedia...if that's not learning i don't know what is.
Back to top Go down
Sound Foundry
Dangerous
Dangerous
Sound Foundry

Male

PostSubject: Re: On this day in history.......   On this day in history....... EmptyFri May 29, 2009 10:43 pm

As long as you're trying mate, that's all that counts.

Oh, and by the way, check this out.......