King Hermit
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
King Hermit

the official King Hermit message board

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Full Review from the London gig (blag club)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Dale
Admin
Admin
Dale

Male
Number of posts : 5959
Hermit Points : 12391

Full Review from the London gig (blag club) Empty
PostSubject: Full Review from the London gig (blag club)   Full Review from the London gig (blag club) EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 5:12 pm

King Hermit part in bold.

I had a spare Friday night with a choice of 5 different bands on Myspace who wanted me to go see them in London none of whom I'd seen before. I ended up choosing this gig on the grounds that it was the only one I could walk to!! That said I arrived at what is now called the Labroke Grove Blag club that is actually on Kensal Road on the old Island in between the canals known as Portobello Dock that was owned by Richard Bransons father and might still be owned by the Branson family! This place has a different name every time I go to it, but still I got in just as the first band finished whoever they were, and seeing as the singers girlfriend turned up after me I guess they couldn't be that
good!

Next on was Alex Konstonoplooosiosis or whatever the name on his mums t-shirt was, who was a folk singer whose set was a mix of covers and originals the covers that we were meant to sing a long to were by the sort of acts I don't listen to so don't know who they were by but
would guess James Blunt, Paulo Nutini that sort of stuff and he did a very bad Elton John song as well, he was ok but not going anywhere, the
best thing he has going for him were the 3 girls who seemed to adore him!!

Next on and having come all the way from Coventry were King Hermit who are a typical bunch of Cov style cheeky Chappies making very catchy sing along indie who had managed to ensure half the audience were wearing there t-shirts! Yes they are very much a t-shirt band and had three or four witty designs. They opened with Bandits that seemed to be what some of the Cov contingent were accusing the bar staff of being charging them £4 for a bottle of cider, Fookin hell I could get two bottle for that back home style rantings!!

The first song that got there fans singing along was She's a Deceiver that has a big chorus and stomps along like it should have been in the charts in the early 90's and could give the Holloways a lesson or two on catchiness. Scare tactics could have been about how to get your mates to buy you more beer but I think was about what happens when everything goes to hell all at once, a good song that could well be a single, but no where near as much as Home Cooked Cookin' should be, this song was the highlight of the show and had almost everyone singing to it! a great song and it got a good cheer afterwards and its still in my head , they cooled down a bit with Fire When ready and finished the set with Home Sweet Homeless that was preceded with an announcement that this is there last british show before they go to New York next month to conquer the states!! Home Sweet Homeless should be played alongside The Loyalties Sofa Surfing UK as two songs that perfectly encapsulate the peripatetic nature of the touring musician. I want to see King Hermit again and in the not too distant future I hope.

Then it was time for Pandora, yes that's Pandora and not The Pandora's more's the pity as I'd love to see The Pandoras again if there ever
sober and clean enough to perform that is!! Pandora who needed to be heckled to give us her name is a female fronted rock band who are in
need of some advice on image and direction as the drummer and bass player seem to be styled on Edgar and Allen in The Lost Boys with the girl looking cool in a camoflage corset and tight jeans but with her voice they really ought to be a goth rock or moody goth band in a Mazzy star meets All About Eve style, not bad but I want to see them in a couple of years time when they have figured out what they really want to sound like.

Simon Phillips

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=4405026&blogId=504820085

Last edited by Drivdac on Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.kinghermit.com
simonovitch
Beginner
Beginner
simonovitch

Male
Number of posts : 1
Hermit Points : 1

PostSubject: Re: Full Review from the London gig (blag club)   Full Review from the London gig (blag club) EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 5:45 pm

I'm glad you like my review and that you all made it back to Cov in one piece!!

Simon.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/simonovitch
Dale
Admin
Admin
Dale

Male
Number of posts : 5959
Hermit Points : 12391

PostSubject: Re: Full Review from the London gig (blag club)   Full Review from the London gig (blag club) EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 6:01 pm

Woah, i just literally sent you a reply, wierd!

Cheers for doing it mate, glad you enjoyed the show.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kinghermit.com
Muldoon
Dangerous
Dangerous
Muldoon

Male
Number of posts : 2504
Hermit Points : 4082

PostSubject: Re: Full Review from the London gig (blag club)   Full Review from the London gig (blag club) EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 6:11 pm

Really good well written review
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/damagelimitationrecords
Dr Brackish Okun
Stalker
Stalker
Dr Brackish Okun

Male
Number of posts : 1322
Hermit Points : 2628

PostSubject: Re: Full Review from the London gig (blag club)   Full Review from the London gig (blag club) EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 6:12 pm

Hahaha ace review Smile was a good show, well done guys
Back to top Go down
Kelly
Number 1 fan
Number 1 fan
Kelly

Number of posts : 969
Hermit Points : 2593

PostSubject: Re: Full Review from the London gig (blag club)   Full Review from the London gig (blag club) EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 6:47 pm

Good review there guys, and pretty much reflected what I thought about Pandora as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Full Review from the London gig (blag club)   Full Review from the London gig (blag club) Empty

Back to top Go down

Full Review from the London gig (blag club)
Page 1 of 1